Welcome to CookingWaffles!!

We hope you can find interesting our opinions about food all over the world. We also have some recipes that may be useful for everybody! Come in and Enjoy ;)

lunes, 19 de diciembre de 2011

Coca-Cola Light vs. Diet Coke



  All of you know or have tasted Coca-Cola Light or Diet Coke. This is a kind of Coca-Cola that uses aspartame, a sweetener based on synthetic phenylalanine, in order to reduce the sugar content in the drink. So why do we have two names for the same product?. As you may have noticed, we only have the Coca-Cola Light version in our country, but if you have travelled abroad, especially to a English-speaker country, you may have noticed as well that the version that is sold there is called “Diet Coke”. As I only have seen Coca-Cola Light in Spain I made a research looking for the countries that use that name for that drink and to my surprise I found that specification: “Coca-Cola Light is used in almost all non-Anglospeaking countries” and “Diet Coke generaly used in Anglo-speaker countries, as well as in former British colonies”. Don't you ask yourself why do we use an English name to a product that is sold in countries that does not speak that language? And if we do so, why do not we use the existing name for that drink?. Obviously, the answer of the first question, at least as I see it, is that nowadays the most dominant and international language in all fields (publicity, TV, bussiness...) is English. But I also have noticed that when we use an English name we sound more sofisticated and even if we have already the same expression in Spanish, we usually use the English one. An example of this may be the word “fiambrera”. In my case, nobody that surrounds me use that word, intead they use the “English term” (as it is actually a very famous brand) “tupperware”. I do not want to highlight here themes as if we should be afraid of being loossing our own language or something like that becasuse I think our language is as alive as us so it must change, it has no other way. The second question that I have made is the one that I actually ignore the answer but I think I can imagine the reason. In my opinion, we use the word “light” in our everyday life, everybody knows the meaning of that word even if he/she does not know a word in English, so I think this was an important point to have in mind for publicists who choose the proper name of the products to sell them easily. I also think that “light” seems to be an attractive name here, at least in Spain. Everybody that wants to slim down search for that word in all the food products that that person buys. So the reason of calling it that way may be that it catches your eye and that way the product is sold better. Anyway, I ignore the truth so if any body can tell us the real reason it could be interesting!

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Nota: solo los miembros de este blog pueden publicar comentarios.